Location Yangon, Myanmar
Start Date May - Jul 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 7 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
Cuso international in Myanmar is looking for a keen individual like you to support the local office with partnership development! We're seeking to go beyond supporting highly skilled volunteers and want to offer the same high-level support to our partner organizations. If you're interested in a ground-level look at program development with local partners, then consider this placement!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Support the partners in identifying a possible consortium program
- Work with partner organizations leaders to influence their engagement
- Support program prepositioning, development and implementation
- Share and build the capacity of the partners and help integrate their technical areas
- Set strategies and execute plans to address the partners’ program quality needs together with the management of the partners.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-Bachelor’s degree required in a field related to International development or Program development and relevant technical certifications are preferred.
-3 to 5 years’ experience providing increasingly proficient technical support in the relevant field of expertise that includes:
- Organizing, planning and writing and analysis on project development
- Leading all aspects of large and complex proposals and managing integrated proposal teams
Essential Professional Background:
-Demonstrate a winning track record in program development
-Bring flexibility, lots of creativity and enthusiasm to every project the partners undertake.
-Exceptional writing skills and the ability to multi-task and work under tight deadlines within a complex partnership environment.
-Being aware and sensitive to international development issues and diverse cultures
Cuso International Myanmar
Cuso International has implemented its VOICE project in Myanmar and 21 other countries which will continue till March 2020. The Volunteers for International Cooperation and Empowerment (VOICE) program (VOICE) in Myanmar will increase the capacity of community-based organizations and government to deliver innovative and sustainable/inclusive development results for poor and marginalized communities, women and youth. Our program will focus on two projects: A Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) project, which focuses on increased security for women and girls; and the Inclusive Sustainable Economic Growth (ISEG) project, which focuses on improving access to employment (either formal or informal) that increases security, income and working conditions, particularly for youth and women including the development of entrepreneurship and inclusive businesses, and the development of value chains in the tourism sector.
Cuso International Myanmar signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of rural development to work in Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw, Mon State, Tanintharyi Region and intends to extend its activities to Kayin State.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or to Cuso International before or after their field placement. Volunteers can also request e-volunteer support to help them with their work, or any other partner-requested task while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to pre-departure training, an international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.