Location Bale Robe, Ethiopia
Start Date Jan - Mar 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 8 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
Due to funder restrictions, support for accompanying partners/dependents is not available for this placement.
The overall purpose of the placement is to contribute to the objectives of the Mada Walabu university to contribute to the plan and delivery of health services that promote, protect and improve public Health of the University catchment areas. The university needs to fill the gap in Public health service delivery. The placement expected to contribute towards the realization of the university’s objectives.
Overall purpose: To provide technical assistance to strengthen health systems of the University
-To develop quality health standards that are appropriate to the organization and community
-To consult on expert Quality health strategies and systems
-To train the university staff on Quality Health services
As a volunteer, you will:
- Facilitate workshops and/or create educational materials on themes related to strategic planning. These might vary depending on the volunteer’s expertise and the needs of the association though subjects may include business planning, conflict resolution, strategic planning, etc.
- Perform need-based analyses on associations, including an analysis of the new value chain of an eco-tourism initiative in Yororobá. The analysis should highlight the associations’ institutional needs, along with the beneficiaries’ progress in achieving their professional goals.
- Develop and implement strategic plans and recommendations on future actions of associations/groups based on the collected data.
Essential Academic Qualifications:
-M.A in Public Health Science or related field
-M.A in Health care administrator/management
Essential Professional Background:
-Work experience in Quality Health Service delivery improvement
-Experience in Training Delivery on Public health delivery service
-Experience in Project Management
Mission: MWU is devoted to the sustainable socio-economic development of the country through provision of quality education, understanding community based research and delivering needs based community services.
Vision: MWU aspires to be one of the leading national universities and to be recognized internationally for providing quality education, problem solving research and community services.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or Cuso International before or after the field placement. Volunteers also have the option of requesting support from an e-volunteer to help them with their work while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.