Online placement (E-Volunteer)
Start Date Aug - Oct 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 3 Months
Language Requirements Spanish
Spanish Reading: Level 4, Writing: Level 4, Speaking: Level 4
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Cuso International’s e-volunteering program welcomes new and returning volunteers to work with our international program partners and volunteers remotely. E-volunteering offers many of the benefits gained from international volunteering, while having the extra advantage of fitting into one's regular weekly schedule without needing a passport. Contributing and giving back to a community, gaining new skills, and making new connections are common benefits of e-volunteering and for Cuso International it is a great opportunity to engage more people in its mission.
E-Volunteers are expected to supply their own basic home office equipment, Internet and have a moderate knowledge of computer technology. Some of our partners are located in remote areas with unreliable internet connection. Consequently, it is reasonable to assume that when working with the partners, emails will not be responded to immediately. For most of our partners, this is their first experience working with e-volunteers and flexibility and patience is a valuable e-volunteer characteristic.
For additional information about our e-volunteering program, please refer to: https:/goo.gl/FQEmbx
Not sure whether e-volunteering may be right for you? Take this short survey to find out: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/e-volunteering
The Directorate of Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship (DCE) under the Municipal Secretary of Economic Development of the Autonomous Municipal Government of La Paz (GAMLP)aims at strengthening the employability opportunities for youth and population in general through their services.
Their M&E team monitor and evaluates all the activities of the 5 DCE platforms: Employability, Entrepreneurship, Business Acceleration, Innovation and Local Economy Development Agency (LEDA). Cuso international Bolivia is now looking for you to support their database development. You will guide and support the team online in the process of developing a database that will provide more accurate and trustworthy evidence on the services provided.
The ideal e-volunteer candidate will have database development background and experience.
As an e-volunteer, you will:
- Analyze the DCE data that is collected to define the conceptual model of the monitoring, monitoring and evaluation system.
- Program a software solution according to the standards and tools to achieve a good engineering result in accordance with the partner and participate and review in the development of systems of diverse complexity, performing requirements analysis, physical designs, logical designs and executing programming tasks.
- Perform analysis, design and development of a comprehensive platform for interaction with citizens and the Directorate of Competitiveness and Entrepreneurship, which can provide updated information and the attention of queries at the online platform.
- Design, develop and / or adapt the computer programs / systems according to the parameters identified by the DCE, respecting the defined standards in terms of database. Also design the structure of the files, user interface and reports required by the DCE and prepare the test plan for the systems, test the programs made, propose viable solutions and correct possible errors and elaborate the control mechanisms to ensure the integrity and veracity of the information.
- Develop safety standards and standards, backup policies and mechanisms that include regular backups (generally, automatically, through programs) and guarantee the recoverability, that is, return the database to a consistent previous state, in case an error has occurred.
- Accompany and assist the DCE technicians in the development of the database and prepare a Database Use Guide for DCE technicians and professionals (for training)
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Diploma or degree in Information Techonology (IT) or other related field
Essential Professional Background:
- Solid professional experience as database developer
- Sound understanding of IT systems and programing
Gobierno Autonomo Municipal de La Paz
Functioning through the Municipality of La Paz, the Youth and Employment Centre (CJE for its acronym in Spanish) of La Paz is an information center that provides free vocational guidance, job search counseling, and advice on youth entrepreneurship with the objective to improve the socio-economic conditions of young between 15-30 years old.
The objective of the partner is to improve the living conditions of youth in La Paz through the provision of free services to guide, promote and facilitate the economic and social integration of youth, accompany and then direct them towards employment to further their education (or to create self-employment).
The vision of the Youth and Employment Centre is to be a medium that contributes to the socio-economic and cultural integration of young people, being a space of reception, information, counseling, assistance, and referral, valuing personal abilities, developing their self-esteem and building their projects.
E-Volunteering Success Stories
E-Volunteering: Virtual Teams Making a Real Difference
Creating online support teams to support emerging social entrepreneurs
E-Mentoring: International Development One Email at a Time
Direct e-mentoring - mobilizing Canadian interns, supported by seasoned e-mentors
Online crowd sourcing: Good Globalization
Mobilizing classrooms to produce valuable market research data - Cuso International alumnus leads students at one BC college in helping rice farmers in Laos