Location Mwanza, Tanzania
Start Date Feb - Apr 2018 (flexible)
Length of Placement 9 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 5
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
As the Gender Equality Advisor, apply your skills in Gender Studies, Social Inclusion, and International Development in this key volunteer role to support the Tanzania Local Enterprise Development (T-LED) project in Mtwara, Tanzania.
The T-LED project supports SMEs to overcome existing barriers to grow their businesses in food production, natural resource products, and other agribusiness value chains. T-LED pays particular attention to the challenges women-led SMEs face by matching them with skilled volunteers with management and entrepreneurial experience to provide guidance. The project also equips SMEs with financial resources via a matching loan initiative and financial mentorship to support SMEs that are ready to expand their operations.
Funded by Global Affairs Canada, T-LED is implemented in partnership by Cuso International and Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) Tanzania. The project is delivered in 3 strategic regions of Tanzania – Mtwara/Lindi, Iringa/Njombe, and Mwanza/Shinyanga – through the supervision of a field manager and full project team based in Dar es Salaam. T-LED implements its deliverables through the collaboration with 2 NGOs, the Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (TCCIA) and the Tanzania Women Chamber of Commerce (TWCC), as well as one 1 government body, Small Industries Development Organization (SIDO). International and national volunteers with various skill sets play an essential role in collaborating with the T-LED project team to address the challenges SMEs face.
The aim of the Gender Equality Advisor role is to implement the Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) T-LED strategy. You will play an important role in supporting TWCC, TCCIA, and SIDO in addressing the gender inequality issues prevalent in Tanzania by using the GESI strategy to provide recommendations. Once the GESI strategy is reviewed and tailored, this will be the basis of performing learning workshops directly to TWCC, TCCIA, and SIDO. Furthermore, there will be a need to further adapt the GESI strategy to address the specific challenges women-led SMEs face in Mtwara and Lindi. Working with other international and national volunteers, there will be ample opportunity to contribute GESI issues into training and mentoring sessions to SME in the region.
You will be well supported by the Mtwara team, all eager to collaborate with you to overcome gender inequality issues in the region.
Come join a dynamic T-LED team!
As a volunteer, you will:
- Evaluate and review current GESI training materials developed by T-LED, and develop training modules suitable for T-LED staff, partners and for SMEs
- Support development of a tailored training curriculum and program which will assist T-LED staff, volunteers and partners in delivering gender-responsive service to SMEs in Mtwara and Lind
- Support the development of workshops that cover topics such as positive masculinities and budgets with a gender perspective
- Support the identification and recruitment of women-led SMEs in the region
- Strengthen capacity of T-LED staff and partner organizations to support the provision of gender responsive services
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Degree in Bachelor of Arts in Gender Studies, Women Studies, Social Sciences, Psychology, or other relevant field
Essential Professional Background:
- 2 – 3 years’ work experience in gender work or related issues
- Facilitation and training skills; experience in development and delivering workshops
T-Led Project - VSO Tanzania and Cuso International
The Tanzania Local Enterprise Development (T-Led) project is aimed at developing enhanced equitable and sustainable economic growth and prosperity for women and men in the Mtwara, Lindi, Mwanza and Iringa regions of Tanzania. This aligns with our project partner, the Tanzania Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture (TCCIA), along with goals of increasing private sector development, small industry development (SIDO) and women-led business growth (TWCC).
The project aims to increase economic growth and prosperity in two ways:
1) By increasing the income and growth potential of female and male entrepreneurs in the value chains related to foreign direct investment in agriculture and the extractive industries and
2) By enhancing small and medium-sized enterprises support services provided by Tanzania Women Chamber of Commerce (TWCC), SIDO and TCCIA in the target regions.
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Cuso International assessment day (Candidates must cover the first $200 of the most cost-effective travel expenses and all accommodation costs).
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for assessment and training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to an assessment day, training course, international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.