Location Hpa-An, Myanmar
Start Date May - Jul 2019 (flexible)
Length of Placement 11 Months
Language Requirements English
English Reading: Level 5, Writing: Level 5, Speaking: Level 5
Language Scale: http://www.cusointernational.org/languageratingscale
Open to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada only
Our partner, the Veranda Youth Community Café is a social business generating resources for community activities in Hpa An. The business aims to be a hub and space for youth, civil society, expat, activists, local artists, foreign travelers and volunteers, who would like to connect with local groups. Before they can do any of these things though, they need to ensure they are a sustainable business that will be able to compete in the increasingly internationally competitive business space in Hpa An.
As the Restaurant Development Advisor, you will work with young staff of Veranda Youth Community Café to enhance their business strategy and marketing skills which will create an opportunity for their career development. You will work with the staff to develop a marketing strategy based on an analysis of their finances and support them to improve and expand their current daily services to establish dependable income generation during tourist offseason. You will support the management of the café to develop its current operations.
As Cuso International is expanding the support around the businesses in tourism, there are possibilities your support will be shared to contribute more than one restaurant in within the similar work scope as below.
As a volunteer, you will:
- Review and compare the tourist and local demand (off and on seasons) and analyze the potential for growth to develop a marketing and business strategy for these seasonal fluctuations.
- Carry out Market analysis is to understand the potential market and work on product innovation and business strategy
- Work closely with management and working team for building the relevant skill on business development and operational management
- Design Marketing tools and a website based on the marketing strategy developed including social media Strategies
- Revise the organizational development needs together with the team
Essential Academic Qualifications:
- Relevant diploma or degree preferred
Essential Professional Background:
- 3-5 years working experience with Social Enterprise or business development
- Analysis and marketing strategy development
- Social media marketing skills
Veranda Youth Community Café
Veranda-Youth Community Café is a social enterprise coffee shop for youth founded in 2014. It acts as a youth learning center, empowering marginalized youth, women, and community-based organizations. A healthy networking and co-working space for young people and civil society initiatives, activists, local artists, and foreign travelers. Currently, their focus is on income generation by serving foods, tradition salads, juices, coffees, etc, and providing catering services.
The vision of Veranda Café is “Promoting the value of sustainable development through working with local products, ecological materials and other methods introducing the concept of responsible consumption.”
Cuso International terms and conditions allow you to lead a modest and healthy lifestyle while being effective in your placement. This support package will cover basic living expenses for one volunteer and is not intended to cover home-based expenses (ex. loans, support payments, etc.) or luxury items such as imported items in placement or international personal travel.
- Modest monthly living allowance (varies depending country)
- Accommodation while in placement
- Return airfare and visa/work permit costs
- Cost of required vaccinations, antimalarial medication and health insurance
- Pre-departure training and in-country orientation
- Travel and accommodation for reintegration debriefing weekend
- Modest support for accompanying partners and dependents going on placement with you for 12 months or longer (Return flight, emergency medical insurance, vaccinations)
- Access to Employee Assistance Program while in placement and upon return
- Travel and accommodation for the five-day pre-departure training course and for in-country orientation
- Bonus: Additional return flight home or cash in lieu after 12 months of service for volunteers who extend for another 6 months
We ask each volunteer, regardless of placement length, to raise $2,000. All volunteers receive support from Cuso International to help achieve the goal through fundraising. If the volunteer chooses not to fundraise or is unable to achieve the fundraising goal, he/she can make a one-time donation or become a monthly donor to support our work
Depending on the nature of the placement, volunteers are encouraged to provide e-volunteering support to the local partner or to Cuso International before or after their field placement. Volunteers can also request e-volunteer support to help them with their work, or any other partner-requested task while they are in placement.
Residency and Citizenship
The majority of Cuso International volunteer applicants are residing in Canada at the time of application and during the pre-departure process. Occasionally we received applications from volunteer applicants who are residing outside of Canada at the time of application. In both instances, between your application date and placement start date, we must be able to contact you and you must be able to contact us easily and promptly throughout the process.
We may require your passport and would need to be aware of your current place of residence and any travel plans you may have during this time. You will also require unrestricted access to Canada during this time for training, as applicable.
Leaving your country of residence can have significant effects on your citizenship status in that country. It is your responsibility to research the consequences of travelling to Canada during the pre-departure process if you are living outside of Canada and of leaving your country of residence for a placement with the immigration authority where you live.
By applying to this placement, you accept full responsibility for any consequences related to your citizenship, residency and immigration status or penalties as a result of travel to pre-departure training, an international placement or other Cuso International related travel.
You must check the implications that apply to you, but examples include:
- Canadian permanent residents may need to make arrangements with immigration authorities before travelling. These arrangements allow them to travel without risk to their status in Canada. Without them, residency status may be withdrawn.
- Citizens of other countries, including those visiting Canada on a visa, may have travel restrictions.