Overnight Awake DPT (Thornhill)
|Job Order ID:||7204
|Employment Type:||Hourly Salary
|Web Publication Date:||2/1/2023
|Number of Positions:||1
Our employer is a non-profit organization that has provided community services for people with developmental disabilities while promoting dignity, individuality, independence, personal growth and community inclusion within a framework of Jewish culture and values. The organization advocates for people, and supports individuals to develop spiritually, feel a connection and sense of belonging to their roots, culture and community, but also encourages the expression of everyone’s culture and religious roots, regardless of background and denomination.
Direct Support Professional Overnight Awake(DSP) is responsible to support individuals with developmental disabilities to live in a state of dignity, to share in all elements of living in the community and to provide the opportunity to participate fully. These supports shall be provided in a manner that promotes the care, welfare, safety and security of the supported individuals.
The Direct Support Professional Overnight Awake DSP follows and implements Individual Support Plans during the individuals waking hours, and deals with any nighttime issues with reference to the plans in place. This role is in line with the organization’s philosophy of community integration, mandate and mission and living within a Judaic framework, and will adhere to the organization’s policies and procedures at all times.
- Provides support and education to individuals in all areas of faith, health, safety, activities of daily living, personal hygiene, mobility, medical needs
- Implements the Individual Support Plan (ISP) in conjunction with the individual and their team; assists the individual to attain the goals as stated in their ISP
- Delegates routine tasks to others where appropriate
- Discusses necessary information with the Direct Support Supervisor and co-workers at the beginning and conclusion of scheduled shifts as well as maintains communication and cooperates with team members during shifts and at team meetings.
- Provides supports based on the person’s needs and desires as per Individual Support Plan.
- Housekeeping and maintenance, as per direction of the Direct Support Supervisor.
- Crisis management during night time.
- Enhances self-determination through:
- Imparting full information and options available;
- Support to follow through on personal decisions;
- Providing information on personal rights, how to exercise rights and the resulting responsibilities and;
- Providing information on health-related matters;
- Encourages personal growth and learning from life’s experiences and opportunities.
- Enhances public awareness through respectful and dignified interactions.
- Ensures human rights are upheld.
- Presents as a positive and professional role model to individuals.
- Educates persons with a developmental disability regarding their responsibilities in maintaining respect.
- Maintains individuals’ confidentiality.
- Develops supports by determining and prioritizing needs and ensures that guidelines are developed and followed through.
- Takes personal responsibility for resolving service issues.
- Responds to problems promptly.
- Provides assistance to individuals during the night and early morning routines.
- Identifies areas of need and provides assistance accordingly with all aspects of daily living skills as per the do-with model.
- Identifies areas of need and provides assistance accordingly with all aspects of interpersonal and social skills as per the do-with model.
- For all life skills, ongoing evaluation, monitoring and assessment of the individuals’ skill levels; and adjustment of manner of support to suit learning/communication styles and goals.
*Days of shifts will vary and may be subject to change due to operational needs*
Hours: 11pm - 9am.
- Certified as one of the following Disability Support Worker (DSW), Personal Support Worker (PSW), Social Services Worker (SSW), Social Worker (SW), Child and Youth Worker (CYW) or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum one (1) year of experience in the field of Social Services required.
- A valid Standard First Aid CPR/AED Level C certificate required.
- Ability to work with developmentally disabled individuals with complex mental health issues, and responsive behaviours, previous experience is an asset.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to take initiative, plan ahead, find creative solutions to individual needs and manage caseload.
- Knowledge and/or experience in planning and implementing appropriate activities.
Please note all interested candidate will need to comply to the mandatory Vaccination Policy thereafter (i.e. boosters, as applicable);
Language of Work: English
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $23.61 per hour
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- 10-hour shift
- Every Weekend
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- Weekend availability